[Biojava-l] help about Viterbi in HMM

hz5@njit.edu hz5@njit.edu
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 16:55:34 -0400 (EDT)

ptr should stands for pointer.

argmax should stands for argument maximum.

In short, the viterbi algorithm is saying that the most probable path is the
path that I am going to predict. So all the recursion is doing is trying to
find the most probable path. In order to find the path, you have to go forward
to calculate all possible scores(it sounds too much, but you actually only keep
the max one in each step, that's why you have argmax, and you also store a
pointer to the state where you get the max score), and then trace back
following the pointers start from the max probability you finally got.

A detailed explaination and step by step representation can be found at:
http://www.scs.leeds.ac.uk/scs-only/teaching-
materials/HiddenMarkovModels/html_dev/viterbi_algorithm/s1_pg1.html

I have an excersize-version of implementation in c++ myself, if you need, email
me.

Hope this help!