[Biojava-l] (no subject)

Sharon L. Cousins Sharon L. Cousins" <sc@informatics.jax.org
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 13:47:52 -0400 (EDT)

Hello folks,

We are not using the biojava API, but we are starting to use Java1.2 for some of
our applications. I have written a filtering/parsing app for Genbank and EMBL
formatted sequence records. As you know some of the files I am parsing are
large.

My problem is writing to a file using the following following code.

BufferedWriter seqWriter = new BufferedWriter(new FileWriter(fileName, false));
seqWriter.write(text);

Once about 2.1G is written I get a file too large error. Our filesystem can
handle files larger than 2G; for example I can cat two 2G files together with no
problem, and can write to 2G+ files with apps written in Python. I am using
jdk1.2 on Solaris 2.6.

If anyone has tackled this situation, I'd greatly appreciate hearing about any
solutions found.

Thanks for your help,

Sharon Cousins