[Biojava-l] Mass Search Results

Michael Jones mjones@mpi.com
Wed, 26 Dec 2001 11:35:38 -0500

I am thinking about creating some biojava interfaces and implementations
for peptide-mass fingerprint and peptide fragment mass searches of sequence
databases. I would like to make it general enough so that it could be used
to wrap some of the popular search tools. So I need to abstract out things
like Scoring schemes.

In general the input would be a set of masses (Protein and peptide or
Fragments and Parent peptide), error tolerance and other filters. The
output would be a set of proteins or nucleotide sequences along with there
associated scores and possibly with the matches as features annotated onto
the returned sequences.

I have been looking at some of the Interfaces used for FastA searches but I
am not sure that they are appropriate for the problem above. For Example
the SearchBuilder has as one of its methods SeqSimilaritySearchResult
makeSearchResult(). A SeqSimilaritySearchResult has a method
getQuerySequence() that is not appropriate for the mass search problem.
What do people think. Should I go ahead and use them and just ignore
getQuerySequence() or should I create new interfaces? Perhaps I could just
extend SeqSimilaritySearchResult and add a getQueryMassSet method or just
use the same interface and just put the masses into the SearchParameters Map.

Also these interfaces according to the documentation seem to be designed to
handle parsing of results but not for algorithm implementations. Is there
some other interfaces that may be more appropriate for doing search
algorithm implementations?