[Biojava-l] ResidueList & Annotatable

Ann Loraine loraine@fruitfly.bdgp.berkeley.edu
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 23:51:40 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

My 2 cents on the discussion of the Sequence interface as a
subinterface of ResidueList -

I also am worried about speed & memory - what happens when we
try to build a ResidueList that represents a megabase-sized
sequence?  That's a lot of Residue Objects!

Perhaps the implementation can avoid creating these million +
Residues until someone calls the "residueAt(int it)" method -- sort of
a lazy evaluation strategy.  (Please forgive me if I misunderstand
the design.)

May I move on to another aspect of the data models at:

http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Users/td2/biojava_core_20000121/ ?

I have a question/comment about the Annotatable interface and its
getAnnotation() method - which returns an Annotation Object.

Seems like it might be wise to have a getAnnotations()
(plural) method instead.

For example, a Sequence could have many Annotations - gene
predictions, promoter elements, etc.

Or do you intend instead for each prediction, promoter element, etc be
represented by a different Sequence Object?

-Ann

--
 Ann E. Loraine
 loraine@fruitfly.berkeley.edu