[Biojava-dev] biojava 4 release planning

Spencer Bliven sbliven at ucsd.edu
Fri Oct 10 10:02:45 UTC 2014

Since this is a major version, we should focus on refactoring projects
which will alter the API. There are only a couple things I'm working on
that fit that. #126 <https://github.com/biojava/biojava/issues/126> is a
major undertaking and will probably happen for 5.0 at the earliest. The
symmetry code will consist of adding features, so this could be slated for
4.1, as could DSSP (#112 <https://github.com/biojava/biojava/issues/112>).
Of course there's no harm in including them in 4.0 if they're done, but we
shouldn't wait for them.

I'll try to look through the issues and assign milestones for each, but
what I see as important to finish is deciding the biojava3 issue (see other
thread), finish logging (#155
<https://github.com/biojava/biojava/issues/155>), and a minor project I've
been working on to refactor the structure CLI code. Personally, I think mid
November would be reasonable to shoot for. Then we can start on 4.1
development (with a 5.0 branch for any api-changing commits).

-Spencer