[Biojava-dev] Github Migration status

Spencer Bliven sbliven at ucsd.edu
Tue Mar 19 01:35:51 UTC 2013

I've created a wiki page describing my current plan for how the SVN to Git
transition will occur. It is very much a proposal, and I would appreciate
your feedback on some of the policy decisions.

http://biojava.org/wiki/SVN_to_GIT_Migration

>From a developer point of view, it will roughly go like this:

   1. Everyone checks in their uncommitted code
   2. The SVN repository becomes read-only
   3. Developers clone (or fork) the github repository and begin committing
   code locally
   4. Core developers push changes directly to the dev branch on github;
   Infrequent contributors submit pull requests with their changes

We need to set a date to do the transition. I was thinking that 3/29 might
be a good date, since many people will probably be on vacation around
Easter.

Thanks to everyone who added their github account info to the
spreadsheet<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Arhylkx_rBBgdDdrTi1IUUNoeHVCVk5xM0VkYWlkcGc&usp=sharing>.
Almost all the active developers have done so, but I'll send a reminder to
the remaining few.

Cheers,
Spencer