[Biojava-dev] Moving to Github–Update your user information

Spencer Bliven sbliven at ucsd.edu
Wed Feb 20 23:38:56 UTC 2013

Hello,
*
*TLDR: All current and past developers should update the
spreadsheet<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Arhylkx_rBBgdDdrTi1IUUNoeHVCVk5xM0VkYWlkcGc&usp=sharing>with
your github info.
*

I've been working on preparing to transition from SVN to Git. This will
have some really nice benefits:

   - Use branches in your daily workflow without merge terror
   - Track buggy/untested code without breaking the build for everyone else
   - Collaborate within a small team before sharing the finished feature
   - Simple, well integrated bug tracking
   - Accept contributions from the public via pull requests

We've already had several pull requests on the current read-only github
repository (which are difficult to incorporate with svn), so I think the
last point will be a strong one.

Eclipse has good support for git, so the transition shouldn't affect most
people's workflow. I'll add instructions to the wiki for setting up the
EGit plugin and getting a checkout soon.

We'll be using Github for hosting the source code and issue tracking. The
wiki will remain at biojava.org. There are currently several read-only
repositories at https://github.com/biojava/. These will likely NOT be
compatible with our final read/write repository, so avoid making forks
until the transition is complete.

I'll be asking for advice on more specifics in future emails, but I wanted
to start right away on collecting github account information from all
developers. This lets us match SVN commits to github accounts during the
transition. Please make a github account <https://github.com/> if you don't
already have one, and add your info to

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Arhylkx_rBBgdDdrTi1IUUNoeHVCVk5xM0VkYWlkcGc&usp=sharing

If you don't fill in your information none of your old commits will be
attributed to your github account.

Thanks!

Spencer