[Biojava-dev] newLine is not consistent across platforms

Andreas Prlic andreas at sdsc.edu
Thu Sep 15 18:57:58 UTC 2011

ok, that sounds like a bug with the genome browser who shall not be
named. I still think the correct default behaviour for an API is to
use the system property. The GFF3 export method could allow to work
around this by getting a flag "use unix style newline". If people
think this is a problem at more places, we can provide a central
utility method which could allow to switch the newline across the
API..

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Scooter Willis <HWillis at scripps.edu> wrote:
> Andreas
>
> You can't win that way either. As an example I think GFF3 file format when
> used with a unmentioned open source genome browser will only work if \n is
> the line terminator.
>
> Scooter
>
> On 9/15/11 1:20 PM, "Andreas Prlic" <andreas at sdsc.edu> wrote:
>
>>Hi Amr,
>>
>>yea, the newline should never be written as \n or \r\n but requested
>>from System.getProperty("line.separator"); Did we have many instances
>>of this? I thought we were pretty consistent in avoiding this.. I am
>>not sure if we need a central place for this. Perhaps all we need is
>>to remind all developers to avoid hard coding this and using the
>>System property instead.
>>
>>Andreas
>>

>>2011/9/15 Amr AL-Hossary <amr_alhossary at hotmail.com>:
>>> Here is another assertion exception:
>>> The end line delimiter is different across platforms.
>>> So, I created a new helper class for common String assertion
>>>manipulation
>>> tasks.
>>>
>>> Please feel free to use it in all common String manipulation tasks.
>>>
>>> Well, my question is: where could it be put (a common place) to be used
>>>by
>>> all test classes?
>>>
>>> Amr

Dr. Andreas Prlic
Senior Scientist, RCSB PDB Protein Data Bank
University of California, San Diego
(+1) 858.246.0526