[Biojava-dev] BioJava3 on Maven Central?

Andreas Prlic andreas at sdsc.edu
Mon May 9 23:04:05 UTC 2011

Hi Michael,

you are probably one of the biggest Maven experts on the list, would you
like to take on the project to get BioJava set up on Maven Central? I
believe you already did it once for one of the 1.X versions...

That would be great help...

Andreas

On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 9:07 PM, Michael Heuer <heuermh at acm.org> wrote:

> I think we need to try (again) to push our external dependencies to
> publish to Maven Central so that we can in turn, or remove or replace
> those external dependencies if that is not possible.
>
> Sonatype will explicitly not allow option 1) below, see
>

> https://docs.sonatype.org/display/Repository/Sonatype+OSS+Maven+Repository+Usage+Guide#SonatypeOSSMavenRepositoryUsageGuide-6.CentralSyncRequirement
>
> and I can't imagine Apache would allow the rsync option from the biojava
> repository, as they aren't really supporting that any more.
>
>   michael
>

> On Thu, 5 May 2011, Andreas Prlic wrote:
>
> > Hi Trevor,
> >
> > I guess in principle we would like to have all of BioJava  in Maven
> > central, however as you already know there is the issue with the
> > external dependencies...
> >
> > Not all of the modules have external dependencies. However I am not
> > sure how helpful a partial upload of BioJava would be, containing only
> > a sub-set of the available libraries...
> >
> > Andreas
> >

> > On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 7:08 AM, PATERSON Trevor
> > <trevor.paterson at roslin.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> > > Hi guys
> > >
> > > We are keen to publish our JEnsembl artifacts on Maven Central, and our
> JEnsembl code depends on the biojava3-core artifact.
> > >
> > > (see http://jensembl.sourceforge.net/).
> > >
> > > Central now strongly discourage referring to external repositories
> (like biojava) because there is no guarantee of permanence.
> > >
> > > (see
> http://www.sonatype.com/people/2010/03/why-external-repos-are-being-phased-out-of-central/
> ).
> > >
> > > I know that external dependencies were a snafu last time publishing
> biojava on Central was discussed - is that still the case?
> > >
> > > Unless you have considered again publishing to Central, if we do go
> ahead with publishing JEnsembl on Central we will have to either
> > >
> > > 1. ignore Central's recommendations and include the reference to the
> biojava repository (if they let us get away with that)
> > >
> > > or
> > >
> > > 2. upload biojava3-core to Central  ourselves, as an external
> dependency
> > >
> > > (see
> https://docs.sonatype.org/display/Repository/Uploading+3rd-party+Artifacts+to+Maven+Central
> ).
> > >
> > > this would involve bundling up and signing the pom/binary/source and
> javdoc artifacts and uploading through Sonatype.
> > > (NB biojava yourself wouldn't be allowed to do this as you are not 3rd
> party!)
> > >
> > > My personal preference would be option 1, as option 2 seems a bit
> 'cheeky' aswell as redundant and smelly,
> > > and personally I have no concerns about the reliability of the biojava
> repo in the medium term.
> > >
> > > However Maven central documents seem to be really heavily against
> this....
> > >
> > > what are your thought on this?

> [...]

Dr. Andreas Prlic
Senior Scientist, RCSB PDB Protein Data Bank
University of California, San Diego
(+1) 858.246.0526