[Biojava-dev] Google Summer of Code 2011

Nirmal Fernando nirmal070125 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 02:44:27 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 6:32 AM, Andreas Prlic <andreas at sdsc.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As you probably already have heard, the Open Bioinformatics Foundation
> has been accepted as a mentoring organization for this year's Google
> Summer of Code. This means we will be able to offer mentoring through
> BioJava again this year. Accepted students will get a stipend of
> 5,000$ from Google. Participation is possible from most countries in
> the world, as long as you are eligible to work in the country in which
> you'll reside throughout the duration of the program.
>
> If you are interested in working on a BioJava related project, now is
> the time to start preparing and discussing your proposals. Last year
> we had many applications for the projects proposed by mentors. If you
> want to distinguish your application I recommend to propose your own
> project. Don't forget to discuss any proposal with us before you
> submit them. We will try to provide feedback and match you with a
> suitable Mentor.
>
> Also see http://biojava.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code and Google's
> FAQs: http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/faqs
>
> The student application deadline is April 8th. Google will announce
> which proposals got accepted on April 25th.
>
> Andreas

Hi Andreas,

I'm an undergraduate at Department of Computer Science and
Engineering, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, and I'm hoping to have
an exciting summer with GSoC 2011. I participated in GSoC 2010 for
Apache Derby (RDBMS in Java) project and successfully finished the project.
This is a sample of the work (final output) which I've done for Derby
last summer
(http://nirmalfdo.blogspot.com/p/my-work-at-gsoc-2010.html).

You can find my profile and recommendations at LinkedIn
(http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=54105394&trk=tab_pro).

I have recently finished a course module on Bio Informatics and have a basic
understanding about few algorithms (Nussinov, Profile HMM, Needle-Wucsh etc.),
which made me interested in this area of computer science.

While looking at your ideas page "Amino acids physico-chemical
properties calculation"
interested me most, since it involves implementation of algorithms.
The sounding Java knowledge
and the experiences of concurrent programming makes me more comfortable.

I would like to contribute to Bio-Java in this summer, would you
please direct me to
relevant sources which I should start reading on and also possible
guidelines would
be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

--