[Biojava-dev] fetching obsolete/superseding files

Amr AL-Hossary amr_alhossary at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 28 17:59:10 UTC 2011

Hi Dr. Adnreas,

I was using a PDB files set, mentioned in an old paper, published in 1994.
the paper is called
Enlarged representative set of protein structures
by
UWE HOBOHM AND CHRIS SANDER
European Molecular Biology Laboratory, 69012 Heidelberg, Germany
(RECEIVEDS eptember 16, 1993; ACCEPTEDD ecember 23, 1993)
published in
Protein Science (1994), 3522-524. Cambridge University Press. Printed in the
USA.

It describes a representative standard set of protein structures that
doesn't have any redundancy.
This set was cited by a paper that talks about Cation-pi interactions as
their representative set; and I was revisiting the same set to use it as my
positive control in my research.

Your idea (the webservice) is perfect.
I can write it this weekend. till then, let's list all additional features
that should be there too.
I am thinking in
static String[] udateIDs(String[] IdsToUpdate)

Generally, I agree with you in not letting the parser be aware of versions,
but I believe it should be at least aware of revisions of the file up to the
point the local copy was created, and let the user be notified that this
data is up to the date this file was created and could be outdated; in
addition to mentioning it explicitly in the documentation.

Well,
Another point to think about:
How to fight redundancy among several files?
If we considered 1HHB, 2HHB, 3HHB, and 4HHB to be representing the same
structure;
If we initiate this request
http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/rest/idStatus?structureId=1HHB,2HHB,3HHB,4HHB
This is the response we get
<?xml version='1.0' standalone='no' ?>
<idStatus>
  <record structureId="1HHB" status="OBSOLETE" replacedBy="4HHB" />
  <record structureId="2HHB" status="CURRENT" replaces="1HHB" />
  <record structureId="3HHB" status="CURRENT" replaces="1HHB" />
  <record structureId="4HHB" status="CURRENT" replaces="1HHB" />
</idStatus>

How to counteract the redundancy in 2HHB, 3HHB, as long as 4HHB is already
there !
This could be the next question. :-)

Sincerely,
Amr