[Biojava-dev] Bug when reading FASTA file with many DNA Sequences

Scooter Willis HWillis at scripps.edu
Wed Feb 9 15:50:28 UTC 2011

Dan

I have attached a copy of my biojava3-core that has that method in it as
well as other memory/speed optimizations I worked on. Sounds like that
method(recently added) hasn't made its way into the current biojava3 jars.
You should see a dramatic reduction in memory if you only need to select a
sub-set of sequences. Trying to load a 245MB fasta file does take lots of
memory. If you plan on reading each sequence then you will eventually run
into a memory problem as I am currently not freeing up the sequence data
that is loaded lazily. My plan is to add some optimization hints/logic
that the developer can control that every time you load a new sequence and
use more memory I will internally free up sequence data that has been
allocated. If you go back to a sequence that has had storage deallocated
then I will simply reload it. This way you can work with very large
sequence files at a genome scale without running out of memory or being
forced to put in a database.

Let me know if this works and if you need to analyze every sequence and
will see if I can find some time to add in the lazyload memory management
features.

Thanks

Scooter