[Biojava-dev] next steps

Scooter Willis HWillis at scripps.edu
Thu May 28 17:57:27 UTC 2009

Andreas

I think each jar probably needs its own svn trunk. This is how apache commons is setup. The advantage of this is that everything is modularized with nice defined boundaries on dependencies. If you have once source tree that builds multiple jars then it becomes very easy to grab a class from another jar and forcing additional dependencies.

You also don't need to worry about a single user having access to the entire source tree. If you have a new developer who wants to get involved with a specific interest then easy to give him access to that package without worrying about breaking other packages.

Do you think we should call the functional grouping packages or modules or something else?

If you take a wack at the refactoring based on X number of modules then you could check each one in a different subversion trunk. Each module will probably have a dependency on biojava-core which will also be a separate subversion trunk. In Netbeans I would setup a project for each and then I can add the biojava-core project as an external project dependency. This also allows each module to be released independently and more frequently. We probably need to come up with a versioning convention that is part of the jar name. Not sure if any of the ant build tools automate the upticking of major/minor version number when packaging jars.

For the user of biojava they would download a single jar for the module of interest where the download contains all the external jars that are required including biojava-core. For maven that would be done via POM.

As part of the refactoring now is the time to make any major namespace changes you want to make. I assume that eclipse refactoring makes this easy. Check all the code in and BioJava3 has begun!

Scooter