[Biojava-dev] Why is the Residue Number a String?

tallpaulinjax at yahoo.com tallpaulinjax at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 27 15:52:45 UTC 2009

Hi,

I was wondering why BioJava treats the ResidueNumber as a String while the PDB format specifies it as an Integer throughout the 3.2 specification? Perhaps it was a string in previous specs? The pertinent code in PDBFileParser is:
String residueNumber = line.substring(22,27).trim();
which is then later retrieved by a user as getPDBCode and setPDBCode within a Group, both as strings. BTW, it would seem a more obvious name would be residueName with getters and settors getResidueNumber and setResidueNumber... I always confuse the getPDBCode with returning the 4-character PDB code string!! :-).

Thanks!

Paul