[Biojava-dev] newbie HOWTO question

Camilo Rostoker rostokec at cs.ubc.ca
Fri Jun 3 17:55:40 EDT 2005

Hi,

I'm new to BioJava, and relatively new to Bioinformatics, so please
excuse my ignorance if I'm looking in the wrong spot altogether...

Is there a way to connect to a remote database and access details about
specific genes (i.e. description, annotation information, etc)?  For
example, I have a small Java-based data mining application that performs
some gene expression analysis using a basic data file that contains just
the gene name (ie. something like YCR004C -- the systematic name) and I
would like to be able to pull up as much information as possible about
that gene from a central repository...

Any help/advice is most appreciated.

Cheers,
Camilo