Re: [Biojava-dev] bjv2

john morris jmorris at geneinfinity.org
Wed Jul 28 02:09:35 EDT 2004

A few days ago I read with a lot of interest the article about BioJava on the Sun website (http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/javaopensource/biojava/) and today I learn that we need to re-write it from the ground so badly designed it is (http://bjv2.derkholm.net/)! I don’t have the background to judge about the need for bjv2, but I clearly feel uncomfortable with the fact that multiple projects are going to compete to each other.

Do we know what are the plans for bjv2 and how it is going to interact with biojava? Rewriting a code from the ground is never a good solution.  Is-there really no way to develop bjv2 from biojava by branching the cvs tree and progressively adapt the API through deprecations? I’ll be interested in reading other opinions.

Thanks again to all Biojava developers for this great piece of work

John