[Biojava-dev] Build system changes

Matthew Pocock matthew_pocock at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 19 06:47:16 EST 2004

 --- Thomas Down <thomas at derkholm.net> wrote: > Hi...

> I've been having a bit of a tidy up in the build.xml
> file.
It needed it :)

> For example:
>
>      ant -Dtest.subtree=org/biojava/bio/symbol
> runtests

>      ant -Dtest.subtree=org/biojava/bio/seq/**
> runtests

Very cool. I'll be playing with this.

> I'm also considering a slightly more radical shakeup
> of the build
> system.  Currently, when a build is launched, all
> the source is
> copied into ant-build before compilation.  This was
> a good idea
> when we had separate core and jdk1.4 sources, but
> isn't needed
> now.  As far as I can tell, it just slows the build
> down and
> causes problems with tools like the jEdit ErrorList
> plugin.

It causes me grief with IDEAL - debugging tries to
edit the coppies, not the original source. I think now
that the source trees are prety much as you would
expect (seperate trees for tests, demos etc.), this is
less of an issue. The only other gotcha is if people
have mixed resources in with .java files - could you
double-check this?

One other build thing - last time I poked arround in
it, I started making each module compile / test
against the .jar of its dependancies - this ensures
that the .jar files we make contain the stuff we think
they do. Not sure if I carried this all the way
through though.

Matthew