[Biojava-dev] biojava-acedb status

Thomas Down thomas at derkholm.net
Thu Jan 8 07:42:44 EST 2004

Once upon a time, Rob Brooksbank wrote:
> I am trying to get hold of a biojava-acedb.jar file so that I can mount
> it from the NetBeans IDE. I have downloaded the tarball from the cvs and
> tried unsuccesfully to build it. I see from a previous thread that
> others have had the same problem and no resolution for it has been
> reported to the list.
>
> What is the status of biojava-acedb? It is not included in the current
> release of biojava, has it been superceded by something else?

I'm afraid biojava-acedb is currently orphanware -- I'm not
aware of anyone who's currently using it.  The compile errors
are due to some changes in the BioJava core APIs.

[It was originally developed by Matthew Pocock and myself, mainly
for use with human genome data.  That's now available in Ensembl
format, though, so I always use that now].

It shouldn't be a major job to get the package working.  It's
a job that's probably best handled by someone who's actively
working with Acedb.

Let me know if you need any help with the code.  I'm not familiar
with Netbeans, though -- can anyone else help here?

     Thomas.