[Biojava-dev] build.xml

Thomas Down td2 at sanger.ac.uk
Thu Sep 25 10:35:00 EDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 03:10:13PM +0100, Matthew Pocock wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The ant script has got realy big and complex. The options seem to be
>
> a) try to fix the urrent mess in a single file
>
> b) have one build.xml file which builds and test everything, with other
> files e.g. build/core.xml, build/test/xml for each logical module.
>
> I'm happy to do the file munging - please tell me which way I should go.

A large cause of bulkiness in this file seems to be the
"run some subset of tests" targets, which are mostly cut-and-paste
jobs from the original runtest target.  We have

   runtests
   runmosttests
   seqtests
   symboltests
   biotests
   ontotests
   filtertests
   dptests
   searchtests

At least a couple of these are my fault...

Is there any way we can neatly run subsets of tests without having
all this cut-and-paste cruft (at least one of which won't work
at all any more, since the ontology APIs moved...).

We do need some reasonly clean way to run test subsets, beccause
even on a fast machine, a complete test run is frustratingly
slow when debugging something.  What about removing everything
except `runtests' from build.xml, but adding a script which
autogenerates a big ANT file with a target for every package.

    Thomas.