[Biojava-dev] New RDBMS support: hsqldb

Len Trigg len at reeltwo.com
Wed Sep 3 23:57:05 EDT 2003

Hi guys,

I just committed support for hsqldb to the biosql package. At the
moment I'm the only one with the appropriate schema files, but once
I've got them looking/working pretty I'll post them to the biosql
people.

Why is hsqldb handy? Well, it's lightweight and fully java, which
means the following possibilities are much easier (and things that I
intend to have a crack at):

1) Make a fully self-contained multiplatform sequence database
application on a CD.

2) Make some unit tests for the biosql packages. I've started on this,
because I've been experiencing problems with sequence features not
being removed properly. Step 1 is to make a unit test to reproduce the
problem, Step 2 is to fix it. hsqldb has a nice mode where you can run
it entirely in memory, which is nice for unit tests.

Cheers,
Len.