[Biojava-dev] Problems with cross-product alphabets and alignments

Matthew Pocock matthew_pocock at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 14 14:43:09 EST 2003

Lachlan James Coin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The one which I can fix:  FlexibleAlignment has addSequence() and removeSequence

<snip/>

Go ahead and fix this.

> The on which I can't fix:  in the symbolAt() method of AbstractULAlignment
> there is the following line
>  alphabet.getSymbol(list);
>
> where alphabet is a cross-product alphabet list is a List of symbols.  However,
> if there is a gap symbol in this list, the symbol returned by the cross product
> alphabet is the gap symbol from the cross-product alphabet, not the BasisSymbol
> comprising all of the symbols in the list.

That is a bug. the alphabet should be delegating to a method on
AlphabetManager, which should handle this case. To track this down, we
would need to know which alphabet impl is being used here, and trace its
getSymbol() method.

Humph.

> Any ideas on how to fix this?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Lachlan

BioJava Consulting LTD - Support and training for BioJava
http://www.biojava.co.uk