[Biojava-dev] RE: FASTA

Matthew Pocock matthew_pocock@yahoo.co.uk
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 00:43:05 +0100

Hi Ted,

I think the closest thing to what you want would be a SymbolTokenization
object. Alphabets are used to represent things like DNA, RNA, Protein
symbols and then SymbolTokenizations make these symbols into text. So,
you can have one tokenization that is upper or lower case single
letters, another that is human-readable names and another that prints
out gaps as ~ instead of -, or n as x. Grab an alphabet instance - call
DNATools.getDNA() - and then call getTokenization("token") and
interogate the object you get back.

Happy playing,

Matthew

Ted Quon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if you guys have written a class in BioJava for file
> formats (i.e. fasta) that returns an iterator of all allowable symbols for
> sequences from these formats?  Thanks!

BioJava Consulting LTD - Support and training for BioJava
http://www.biojava.co.uk