[Biojava-dev] SortedMap comparator question

Matthew Pocock matthew_pocock@yahoo.co.uk
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 15:43:19 +0100

Michael L. Heuer wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Thomas Down wrote:
>
>>How about defining a little datablob class which is an
>>Object-double pair. defining a comparator over those, then
>>just using a SortedSet?
>

> I had thought about this, but the convenience of the keys and entrySet
> views was desireable.

I've done this before - with the pairs. It's east enough to write a set
impl in terms of (Object,double) pairs and then write a set impl that
deletagest to this for stoorage but projects the pairs back to just the
Object.

> What I'm going for is something like
>
> interface ScoredSet extends Set (?)
> {
>   public double getScore(Object o);
>   public double minScore();
>   public double maxScore();
>   public ScoredSet subSet(double fromScore, double toScore);
> }
>
> and
>
> interface RankedSet extends ScoredSet
> {
>   public int getRank(Object o);
>   public int minRank();
>   public int maxRank();
>   public RankedSet subSet(int fromRank, int toRank);
> }
>
> providing
>
> 		score   rank
> object1		100.0	1
> object2 	90.0	2
> object3 	90.0	2
> object4		75	3
>

> The Set contract is nice in that in that it provides for non-duplicate
> elements, but it might not make sense to view this as a simple Collection
> after all.

Good luck with this. If you do write this, then I'd love to see it in
org.biojava.utils as it's a generaly usefull piece of kit to have lying
arround.

Best,

Matthew

>    michael

BioJava Consulting LTD - Support and training for BioJava
http://www.biojava.co.uk