[Biojava-dev] SequenceIterator question

Matthew Pocock matthew_pocock@yahoo.co.uk
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 20:00:22 +0100 (BST)

 --- "Ren, Zhen" <zren@amylin.com> wrote:
> Thanks a lot, Matthew.  If I want to go through a
> big set of sequences several times, what would be a
> more efficient approach? I certainly appreciate your
> help.  -Zhen

It depends where you are fetching them from and what
you do with each one. If they are being fetched over
the web (e.g. from ensembl or via xembl), then your
biggest speedup would come from caching the sequences
locally. You can probably addapt one of the demos to
read a stream of sequences from one source and write
them out to another. If they are already local (e.g.
on your disk) it comes down to what you want to do
with them, and we'd need a better idea whats going on
to offer an alternative plan.

Matthew