[Biojava-dev] SequenceIterator question

Matthew Pocock matthew_pocock@yahoo.co.uk
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 16:25:18 +0100 (BST)

Hi Zhen,

The correct approach is as you said - recreate the
buffered reader and start again. If you do this n
times, it will cost you n times as much as doing it
once.

There are reasons the iterators don't have reset.
There are many cases where the stream of sequences
only arrives once (e.g. data over a socket).
Sometimes, the resources needed to cache the sequences
would be prohibative (e.g. looping over all sequences
in embl). Some resources can be looped over multiple
times, but this tends to work by having an iterator
method on the collection object e.g. sequences() on
SequenceDB. This way, the collection can manage any
caching scheims and this cache can be shaired among
multiple iterators over that collection.

Is that helpfull? Best of luck with BioJava.

Matthew

 --- "Ren, Zhen" <zren@amylin.com> wrote: > Hi, there,